Mailing List

Monday, June 26, 2023

The Star FractionThe Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Here's a rather wild political fantasy.

Sure, it has cyberpunk and AI elements, a near-future world (but mostly British) fractured by soooo many political leanings and this chaos keeps most of them down -- but the dialogue is wild. Mind you, you'd have to have a high tolerance and hopefully wide understanding of political theory and hundreds of different flavors, but I dig this stuff.

It's all revolution in the end, man... and it's not exactly roses.

Honestly, I like the idea of this politico-punk novel more than I liked its actual execution. It had great parts -- so many revolutionary-idea cells, uneasy alliances, and jingoistic anthems, and then, at some horrifying instances, mass death.

As a SF, I think it needs to be remembered, appreciated. It's almost too kooky even for my political mind, but it's fascinating for all that.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment