Mailing List

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale SingsFluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is like taking an immersive trip with whale scientists for several months, seeing how damn devoted and pathetic they can be, being underfunded, caught without a really good way to STUDY whales in their home environment, and also getting caught up in the slightly pathetic and desperate personal lives.

Until it isn't.

Then, when you least expect it, you get eaten by a whale.

The rest is all absurdist SF that is funnier in concept than it is funny in the actual text. Even so, it was freakishly cool and over-the-top, made better for the simple reason that we had such a solid grounding for almost half the novel.

I can't get enough of this guy. His novels have so far been wildly different from each other and his sense of the absurd is top-notch.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment