Mailing List

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Dragonquest (Dragonriders of Pern, #2)Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The good: the hatching, raising, and caring of dragons. I really enjoyed all these bits.

For everything else, I'm more of a mind that I like the general idea of the other ideas more than their actual execution.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept of post-Earth colony and colonists, the long stretch of time and their loss of knowledge and technology, and the idea that they have all devolved into a medieval-type society. Maybe less: the idea of clans, old men, power-plays.

All told, the book feels like a child of its time. 1970, preoccupation with "mating", sexual freedom. It could be worse. I've read much worse. Fortunately, most of the focus is on dragons and dragon-flight. I can't really complain.

I suppose, however, I wish I could get into the characters more. My appreciation for this is almost all in the worldbuilding.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment