Mailing List

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

The FerrymanThe Ferryman by Justin Cronin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was a rather surprising, inventive book. By the time I got sucked in, I imagined it would be a certain kind of book and looked forward to the thriller-ish, vaguely disquieting, potentially nightmarish dystopia.

I mean, sure, there are certain things that are very wrong here. How people are adopted, how they leave the world, all of that really gives me a Charon kind of feel. I thought it was definitely going to be THAT.

And then, much later, when things get weirder, well after the half-way point, I am proud to admit that I got bait-and-switched and I LOVED it.

I cannot say a damn thing about it, either, or it's massive spoiler territory, but I WILL just say that this made the book for me. It's quite clever, and while I think that certain people should have experienced a bit more punishment for the crime, I can't fault the intent behind it.

There's a lot of good storytelling here. As a novel-structure, broad outlines, it's pretty fantastic. The mirroring and assumptions we must go through come back around to eat itself. I love that kind of stuff.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment