Mailing List

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

After ThoughtAfter Thought by Nate Eckman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Even heaven allows hell.


I picked this book specifically because it had a post-American Civil War in its blurb. Seemingly, that was enough for me.

As for the content, it's a bit more of a complete cyberpunk dystopia without the endless capitalist violence. Indeed, in this MANAGED society, people's very memories are suspect. It's chilling and eventually the novel really blows up in an interesting way.

Think Pol Pot if he could have gotten his hands on memory alteration tech, AI personal assistants (and more to run a total massive operation), and a complete erasure of history. No one wants to recall the horrors of war, after all. It's best to take away the bad bits. In here, we start with this as a fait accompli.


I may have had a bit of issues with the writing style at first but once we got out of the explanation modes I was quite involved with the action and reveals. I very well might continue more by this author.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment