Mailing List

Friday, January 20, 2023

The Star DiariesThe Star Diaries by Stanisław Lem
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've been a long-time fan of Stanislaw Lem but I feel ashamed that I never got around to reading these wonderful collections of short stories that are all connected by the intrepid space traveler, Ijon Tichy.

I cannot recommend these enough. They're light-hearted, insanely creative, and each adventure gives us all the great cannons of SF, including time travel, cloning, artificial intelligence, robots, and of course, tons of people being idiots. Indeed, the whole wacky universe is full of great idiocy.

It's not the mess I make it sound. He's just always curious and always willing to get into trouble. Of course, most of the time, trouble always drags him in, but I have to say that this holds up wonderfully.

The spirit of wonder is quite alive. So is the humor. :)

If you've read others of Lem, such as the The Cyberiad, you'll know what you're getting into here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment