Mailing List

Friday, May 27, 2022

The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)The Inimitable Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In my final estimation, this is a very niche kind of novel. A hundred years old, it most definitely spoke to the people of that time, but humor is a fickle thing. I do like a lot of BBC humor and it frankly matriculated on Jeeves, but even if I can point out all the fine and good absurdist satire in this work, it still didn't quite make *ME* laugh.

Some of the romantic snafus made me smile. Some of Jeeve's underhanded cruelty might have evoked a nasty appreciation, but all in all, it was hard to feel any kind of connection with these higher-upper-crust snobs even when I turned my imagination up to level 10.

The best I can say is that I don't regret reading it, that it was very light entertainment, but I got neither deep satisfaction nor guffaws out of it. Alas.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment