Mailing List

Friday, September 6, 2024

Shades of Grey (Shades of Grey, #1)Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Throughout my read, I was simultaneously on the cusp of thinking this was brilliant and too annoying to continue. That's just me, however.

Let me explain: While I DID like the whole color thing as a mirror to our horrid society, it was also laborious. The core story with its characters was fine--school stuff with a good comedy of manners thing going on--and while I've read much better, this was solid.

The whole idea of a future society that runs a gene-like thing based on all different colors, was a bit hard for me to follow. I mean, sure, we have doctors that use extremely specific palates to heal others, and mold is an issue, and we get that whole feel that their world-s are paintings, or something like. But that part of the worldbuilding was just too thin for me. I kept butting my head up against it to flesh it out and couldn't.

So. While I LIKE the idea of it and the core story was just okay, it just never quite got under my skin. At all. Sorry, Jasper. I just couldn't do more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment