Mailing List

Sunday, September 29, 2024

Absolution (Southern Reach, #4)Absolution by Jeff VanderMeer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

What a trip. And I mean that most druggily. For all those fans of Area X, you probably wouldn't have expected another novel, but here we are, in all its life-and-mind-desolving goodness.

The alligators hooked me. The trackers enticed me. The flesh--well, the flesh--did something to me. The words, lol, the words, they set me up, entangled me in so many styles, and then threw me to the ground, tickled me, made me laugh, and then, when I didn't know what I was doing or thinking, they ate me. Yes. My expedition into this book ate me.

And here we have it, the fateful original expedition into Area X, the original Terror of the Weird, all come home to roost.

*shivers* The surreal alien madness, slow-cooked over the fire, was everything I thought it would be, and more.

Honestly, I think it's on par with the first book, tho that one had tight PoVs going for it, rather than a full menagerie of madness, in this one. Both have their strong points. But either way, I loved this. I'm still vibrating with that end.

All hail originality! :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment