Mailing List

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Lula Dean’s Little Library of Banned BooksLula Dean’s Little Library of Banned Books by Kirsten Miller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Pitch perfect.

Of course, it's extremely topical and has been extremely topical ever since I was a kid, too. Power plays by little people who probably haven't cracked a book in 30 years trying to limit everyone else's choices is so common, by this point, that we call them busybodies, Karens, assholes, and little-minded jerks.

Yes, this book is set in a small town full of people trying to just get along while a hateful vocal minority tries to squash everyone else's minds. You know the type: those who ban the Diary of Anne Frank or Judy Blume. Any book that tries to tell the truth about history, especially black history, that contradicts their sense of entitlement. It's writ small here because it's enormously painful everywhere else.

This book just hit all the right spots. A clandestine, deliciously naughty book lending circle gives so many of these peeps hope.

It's not an original story, of course. I've been living this tale since the 80's, in my own school, beset by small-minded assholes, and I used to get just as much enjoyment out of getting these banned books as I did out of sharing them.

I am a book lover, after all. This kind of tale is me. And more importantly, if you're reading this, then it's probably you, too. Enjoy!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment