Mailing List

Monday, August 12, 2024

Better Living Through AlgorithmsBetter Living Through Algorithms by Naomi Kritzer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

You know, putting aside the fact that this just won the Hugo for best short story in '24, if someone had told me I had to read this, and insisted, perhaps with a gun to my head, that I would love it, forcing me to read it, I probably would have come out of the experience in something much more than shock.

Not only would I turn on that person who had put a gun to my head, I'd probably give them a hug, thanking them for the abuse.

Why? Because the story was just that touching.

Being socially sequestered, a bit of a loser, myself, I found a lot of things in this short story just -- delightful. Did I want something like this? Yes. All parts of it, up to the point where the expiration date hit? Yes.

I mean, damn. This is the flip side of everything we've got. The UPside. And this is what we should be striving for. All of us.

Beautiful. Totally beautiful.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment