Mailing List

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

FluxFlux by Jinwoo Chong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I will say this: the first third of the novel is fantastic. Engaging, weird, sharp. All the periphery hints were spectacular and I was totally down for any/all reveals.

When it did develop, I was kinda shocked that it all turned into an exploration of grief, hidden or not, and then the plot got further submerged. I decided at that point to just enjoy the ride instead of trying to figure out what is happening.

And then, by the end, already long-aware of the spoilerish nature of the story, I can't say I really remained drawn into the emotions of it. I wanted to, but it lost me. If I sound super vague, it's because I can't talk about the seriously WEIRD (nicely so) nature of the novel.

I mean, sure, I can talk about the utter immersion in an old, bad, 80's sitcom, or the job that was utterly f***ed up, or the swirling-down-the-drain nature of the plot, but without details, all I can say is: go read it for yourself!

It IS pretty damn interesting and creative and when you consider just how few novels go off the deep end, we need to treasure those who do. :)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment