Mailing List

Thursday, August 22, 2024

House of Open Wounds (The Tyrant Philosophers, #2)House of Open Wounds by Adrian Tchaikovsky
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I honestly can't believe how much fun I had reading this. The first book was pretty great, but not nearly my favorite among all of Tchaikovsky's works. And then, when I read the blurb on this one, I wasn't sure.

And then, as I followed the war-camp life, I was doubly-sure that I was unsure. The Butcher is a surgeon but is considered a serious torturer.

I thought to myself, "Uh-oh, we're in Grim-Dark territory."

Imagine my surprise when it evolved into a pretty amazing amalgamation between early Abercrombie grimdark and TERRY PRATCHETT. When we got to Jack and his small gods, I was utterly hooked. With the healers being necromancers, and a love interest... well, not a necromantic thing, please don't let your mind go there... I simply had a fantastic time.

I loved this one's characters and denouement so much more than the first. No spoilers, but it's fantastic.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment