Mailing List

Sunday, August 4, 2024

A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2)A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Third read.

I've been a massive Vinge fan for so many years, always ranking the first to Zones of Thought books as some of the most impressive in all of SF, and I'm pleased to realize that others think the same way.

Before we had Children of Time, we had Deepness in the Sky. Even though we get spiders in both novels, it's immediately clear that the alien-treatments of both are very different. I have to say that Vinge's IS better, for the depth and societies of both humans, their factions, and the all the other aliens. We've got intrigue, pure science, massive failures, striving together, and so much more. I mean, seriously, this novel is jammed packed with so much detailed SFnal goodness, from deep histories, long travels, impressively evil mind-hacking, and even tons of trade.

Space battles and civilization building, all these species stuck in a little solar system.

Don't trust me? Try reading this classic. For it IS a classic. There's nothing better than seriously good SF, and this is that.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment