Mailing List

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

The Complete MausThe Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

*cries silently*
















This was easily more harrowing an experience than any that I've read. I mean, sure, there are worse in documentaries and movies about the Holocaust, but for writing?

No. This started gentle, got me invested heavily, and then the true horror settled in. It was, of course, worse because it was real.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I burst into tears several times, and it wasn't always for just the people depicted as mice. I am horrified, yet again. So absolutely horrified. Again. And it's always worse because we hear of still more atrocities around the world at different times and I have to wonder if there's anything worth saving in mankind.

I know there is. But I have to wonder.



As for this particular graphic novel, it won the Pulitzer for very good reason.

It's also banned all over the place because certain people are still invested in burying the truth, either to keep a beloved scapegoat or to perpetuate prejudice. Either way, fuck them. Everyone ought to pick this up and read it. Don't forget your history. Don't forget everyone's shared history. Don't forget our shared humanity, or we will all be doomed to repeat the same fucking mistakes.



*cries silently*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment