Mailing List

Friday, March 31, 2023

Ex-Heroes (Ex-Heroes, #1)Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I waffled back and forth on this one. On the one hand, I knew I'd love the concept of superheroes (generic superheroes, riffing on the ones we know so well, but different) versus a zombie-overrun world.

Not to be confused with the Marvel Zombies or Darkest Night run in Marvel or DC, mind you, but a fully-fleshed what-if of our world without copyrighted material.

So why am I waffling?

For one, I knew this was a concept novel. A write-by-spec novel mashing zombies and heroes. By any stretch I may not expect it to be brilliant but I would think it would be interesting. Very interesting.

And from the get-go, it kept up nicely. It kinda slowed down a bit when we got into the characterizations of all these old and later superheroes but it was a bit of a grab-bag. Some of the stories were pretty cool and some were rather cringe.

That being said, by the end it was pretty cool and it was a pretty cool study of the mixed genre. Better than that, it was also fun -- if not totally brilliant.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment