Mailing List

Saturday, March 18, 2023

False Gods (The Horus Heresy, #2)False Gods by Graham McNeill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I rather missed the philosophical and ethical depth of the first book. It's still continued, to one degree or another, but it takes a back seat to the action.

This isn't really that bad a thing for a huge space-opera war epic spanning so many worlds. War is everything, warriors, bigger than anything, and the unstoppable wave of death... is totally gratuitous.

Truly, the whole thing is over-the-top gratuitous bloodlust and the glory of war, war, war. And why? For it's own sake. The echoes of the ethics, the questions, the undercurrent from the first book feels like an ultimate counterpoint... and everything is totally overbalanced.

Honestly, it would turn my stomach if I didn't already know what I was getting myself into. After all, it IS Warhammer 40k.

On a side note, I really love the whole idea of the Warp and the complications of godhood. I could read all of these just for that.

I wonder if I have the stomach for all of these. The Emperor's Crusade is so ironic. Peace and enlightenment at the tip of a sword. *rolls eyes*


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment