Mailing List

Monday, March 13, 2023

Legacy of Ash (Legacy Trilogy, #1)Legacy of Ash by Matthew Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I heard some good things about this and I was hungry for a new Epic Fantasy to sink my teeth into.

By the end of this book, I got exactly what I hoped to get. Dark and heavily risen stakes, a bloodbath or three, and a good taste of the good 'ole grimdark.

I was invested by the end.

That also implies that I wasn't invested in the other times, and that is also true.

It took me about 2/3rds of the novel before I was doing something else than watching some prideful people bite the dust or other prideful people betray those they should have been protecting or sometimes both at the same time.

Don't get me wrong. That's a commonplace trope for these kinds of novels. This book had the mild feel of some Tad Williams and a taste of Abercrombie without the wildly imaginative aspects of either. I did notice something, however. There are an awful lot of epic fantasy novels that use crows. I mean, a LOT. Just an observation.

Anyway, I did think this was pretty good but for me, it's a bit average or a little above average. I may continue on the off-chance it gets brilliant.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment