Mailing List

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Galaxy in Flames (The Horus Heresy, #3)Galaxy in Flames by Ben Counter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book is entertaining enough if all you're looking for is galactic civil war, hints of other-dimensional godlike invaders, and battle, battle, battle.

I miss the philosophical moments and the slow character burn of the first novel, however. It's the nutritious part. The rest of this seems to be all condiments and hot sauce.

It's FINE if that's all you want. Indeed, some of the action is really good and the whole loyalty above all, the betrayals, the call for EMPIRE and the rage of discovery is all very emotional -- if you have been emotionally invested.

As it is, I did get invested in the first novel. The rest have merely coasted on the first.

And yet, there is some big-scope, big possibility world-destroying action laid down here. I think it would be enough for quite a few readers.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment