Mailing List

Monday, October 10, 2022

The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)The Halfling's Gem by R.A. Salvatore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a good example of sword and sorcery by way of the Forgotten Realms D&D settings. In a way, I'm just reminded of old Fritz Leiber, but in another, I'm just here for the settings.

Drizzt and Wulfgar take up most of the adventure, and it's a decent adventure spanning a lot of distance, and if all you want is a standard D&D adventure that gives you a big taste of the old worldbuilding (not to mention so many great video games, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale), then I'm sure you're going to have a pretty good time here.

So what's my problem?

I guess I'm spoiled with great Fantasy literature. This only reads as fairly average. It's good for what it is and if you don't expect high literature (or even fantastic fantasy) then you'll be fine.

Perhaps I just want more. Almost every modern fantasy delivers more. But props where props are due: this one has been extremely popular and its effects are everywhere.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment