Mailing List

Sunday, October 13, 2024

The OvernightThe Overnight by Ramsey Campbell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So. I really wanted to get back in to reading Ramsey Campbell after vaguely remembering I'd loved reading Ancient Images many years ago, and my buddy reader and I thought this particular book might be right up our alley because it deals with spookiness and perhaps deaths in a bookstore.

Yeah, well. Let's put it this way: if you consider a huge chain bookstore with harried workers and the very idea of service industry being HORROR, then I think you and this book would get along quite well for the first 2/3rds.

For me, at least, I just wanted to see some deaths, not just errant apostrophes. Alas, I was hoping for a cozy, book-centric, overnight caretaker kind of story, but it wasn't to be.

If you can get to the last third of the book, however, the supernatural stuff gets pretty fun. Getting that far, however, was something of a burden.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment