Mailing List

Thursday, October 17, 2024

CarrieCarrie by Stephen King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Re-Read.

I remember reading this way back in 1989, shortly after reading Pet Sematary. As a young kid, I totally got into the whole revenge factor for being picked on, but back then, I thought it was a lesser work of SK because I was stacking it against the other and IT.

I FINALLY got around to re-reading it now, and I really got into it a lot more than before. The interviews were something else. So was the assumption of vast changes in the world afterward. It just had a feel to it that was raw and so much more than the YA revenge fantasy that it actually is.

So now I get it, so late into my fanboying over SK's work, why this struck such a nerve in 1974, why it got SK all over the map. Just think about it. Girl gets her period, grows up under massive religious straitjackets and ignorance, has TK, is bullied to hell. Its a real powder-keg and aside from the TK, it could happen anywhere.


Here's to the girl that snapped.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment