Mailing List

Monday, October 14, 2024

The Devil's Detective (Thomas Fool #1)The Devil's Detective by Simon Kurt Unsworth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think I thought this was going to be a simple Noir in hell, with all the normal trappings of hard boiled detective work, albeit with a bit more LA than LA.

Boy, was I surprised. It definitely has the other LA, but better than that, it's more hard-boiled, less conflicted about being hard-boiled, and positively lovecraftian with its demons, damned souls, and angels.

The worldbuilding might sound pretty average for the setting, but it's more. It's alive, interesting, and fascinating in a way I haven't seen in a long time for such a hellscape.

That's the good bit, isn't it? The writing. It draws you in and entertains you all the way. And this does.

I'm quite happy.

Happy spooktober!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment