Mailing List

Friday, October 18, 2024

Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 217, October 2024Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 217, October 2024 by Neil Clarke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Abby Nicole Yee ("A Space O/pera") -- (5*) Nicely fascinating, blending a post-fake society with a wedding, a space dog, and an emotional mystery. I really liked this one.


Nigel Brown ("The Buried People") -- (4*) Odd frontier SF, but it's the questions--to me--that drives this story.


Fiona Moore ("The Children of Flame") -- (2*) Nomads and subtle post-apoc communities are a special breed for me--either I love them, get eerie'd out, fascinated, or... I don't. This one didn't really catch me at all.


Arula Ratnakar ("Fractal Karma") -- (5*) This full novella takes its lovely time getting to some seriously hard core SFnal (wonderfully math heavy) ideas. Topography as applied to consciousness. Solid dark ending. This kind of story is one very dear to my heart. And so far, it's easily the best story of the month.


Louis Inglis Hall ("Fishing the Intergalactic Stream") -- (4*) This clipped, imaginative tour of alien fisheries was somewhat relaxing. Just sit back and fish. Of course, the twist was pretty obvious, but nice for all that.


Mike Robinson ("Midnight Patron") -- (4*) Anyone want an artistic crow's vision of our future? Ah, it's the implications that I liked best.


Damián Neri ("The Face of A Documentary") -- (5*) Brilliantly irreverent and I'm all about remembering James Morrow. This one is a very nice documentary-like nod, with some slight alterations. And now I kinda wish we had THIS story instead of the one we got in the movie Deep Impact. Alas.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment