Mailing List

Thursday, December 8, 2022

When No One Is WatchingWhen No One Is Watching by Alyssa Cole
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This thriller really had me going. Nicely grounded, I felt the true horror of gentrification. We do get the systemic aspect, of course, but the personal effects sting the most. Not to mention the con game going on in the outskirts, the feeling like it's all completely out of control, all the while meeting a few good people in the mess of the bad.

What I liked most about this was learning a few extra details about old racism. I mean, gentrification itself isn't new, and I knew the North was into a lot of lousy crap before and after the Civil War, but it's still nice to get some really interesting details.

Best of all were the characters. I really felt anxious and when it got really bad (no spoilers) I couldn't stop reading.

Very fun book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment