Mailing List

Thursday, April 11, 2019

The World Jones MadeThe World Jones Made by Philip K. Dick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This isn't eggsactly (prior readers will get my pun) a classic PKD novel, but it has some rather interesting ideas scattered within it. Or upon it.

It's almost hermaphroditic in its construction. lol

OKAY, fine, I'll stop being weird.

This world that Jones made is brought about by a one-year foreknowledge of his own life. It's always one year ahead in time, too, so when the alien invasion comes, Jones gathers a ton of followers who believe in him and his vision of how to save the world.

Jones is not the protagonist. :)

There's a ton of interesting reveals and twists in the novel that would ruin prospective readers' enjoyment. Probably. So I'll skip them, but maybe just one. The aliens are RATHER interesting and I loved the whole concept. To think of humanity as a virus is pretty spot on, and using a biological process to fix it is also pretty brilliant. This came out in 1956. It's pretty cool to see various themes stolen by later novels and movies. *coughmatrixcough* Or some great David Brin stories. Or perhaps some of you might point to your own great examples. :)

The legend of Jones will not live forever, unlike the prediction in the novel, but I still think that PKD will. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment