Mailing List

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #1)Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising by Jason M. Hough
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I admit I came into this knowing full well it was a franchise novel and I usually never go in for franchise novels. Maybe a few Star Treks here and there, a Doctor Who occasionally, and pretty much nothing else.

So why did I go this route?

Names. The heavy-hitting authors involved. Well, I've heard of Hough but I haven't read any of his work, but for the next two on the docket, N. K. Jemisin and Cat Valente, my admiration knows no bounds. So, yeah, I had to read these.

Oh, and I am one of those rare fans of the game. I love all of the games. I played this one to 100%. :)

Enough of that. How was this BOOK, Bradley? lol


Well, it was okay. Nothing seriously wrong with it, just kinda average. It's a prequel to the game and I enjoyed ferreting out the history and the developments at the home base, Nexus, and how they happened to go through a mutiny and sent off a ton of exiles into an inhospitable world.

This is the rest of the story.

Reasons, developments, survival on a mostly broken mothership, and a slew of badly-handled situations. In a nutshell. And it was okay. Not fantastic. Just... fine. No surprises going in, no surprises going out, and I found myself wondering if there was really a point. Yes, the story is fleshed out a lot more from the game, but all-in-all, I probably could have done without it.

Should I keep my expectations a little higher for the next two? Perhaps.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment