Mailing List

Saturday, January 5, 2019

The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)The Black Tides of Heaven by J.Y. Yang
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fun and fast epic fantasy novella. Or is it SF? Regardless, there are great little tidbits and dense worldbuilding going on here and I had a pretty awesome time. I love detailed worldbuilding, but sometimes diving right into an assumed world only shown, rarely told, is its own joy.

Odd, no? But exposition CAN be quite comforting in a tale.

This doesn't have all that much of it, and that is fine except when it can get a bit overwhelming. The rest of the time, we have to just rely on the characters to get us by until all the pieces come together. Fortunately, they do. :)

The tragedy was the best part for me, but I did appreciate the sociological slant on being a woman and what has to be done to get or retain power in this particular setting. Both as one of the twins and the mother, in particular. But the tragedy sealed it for me.

Continuing on. :)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment