Mailing List

Thursday, January 31, 2019

GravityGravity by Tess Gerritsen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Before reading this, I had few expectations. Just knowing that the author writes popular police procedurals doesn't always mean that other genres are a cinch to write. So I had to back off and just let the tale tell itself.

I let myself flow into the story as it began heavily on the characterization and it slowly turned into a medical thriller just happening to take place in space. The Andromeda Strain? Hmmm. But then the modern storytelling style got me hooked. No one behaved unreasonably. Smart, strong characters. Rising tension... and then somewhere in the middle, I found myself thrilling to the horror of it. :)

There's plenty of cool biology and medical thriller stuff, but you know what I found most interesting? It had cool echoes of Starfish. It even reminded me a bit of that movie, Life. Or conjure in your mind any rampant story of contagion, and you've got a great idea about where this novel is headed.

I have very few complaints. I had a great time throughout. But if I should feel the need to complain about anything... it's the end. I'm not sure I buy it.

But other than that, I think I had a lot more fun here than I thought I would. :) Tess really can write SF thrillers. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment