Mailing List

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1)Strange Practice by Vivian Shaw
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This new Urban Fantasy was a rather slow starter for me. I was like... Oh, okay, a doctor for the monsters. What could go wrong? A little humor, a little less-well-known vamp, some old friendships with unknown monstrous types, and a serial murderer/s on the loose taking out all the good monsters who just want to get along.

The strength would have to rely on the writing rather than the concept for me.

Fortunately, I didn't mind the slow bits so much and after the action picked up I hopped along with the tale quite nicely. All in all, she pulled it off. The basic concept is okay but it's the characters that sold it. Add a pretty surprising run-in with a big bad and some cool worldbuilding with the supernaturals, and I'm quite happy. It may not be the most fascinating UF I've ever read but I may enjoy continuing it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment