Mailing List

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Re-read 3/18/18:

A buddy read and sheer nostalgic orneriness and excitement for the movie has driven me to re-read this classic SF. :)

What can I say? It's even better on re-reads and the nostalgia factor is just as intense. Only this time, I dragged out my old DVDs and watched my favorite geeky 80's films and watched them in the same way that young alcoholics will play a drinking game. Hear a reference, take a shot. In this case, when I hear a reference, I watch the damn movie. :)

I did NOT go the route of TV shows. That way lies madness. Since I am not mad, nor in possession of old tv shows of questionable value, I didn't go nuts. Maybe I did youtube a few old Knight Riders for giggles. Maybe I watched some of the new Voltrons. Shhh. Don't tell anyone.


Original Review:

I have to agree with Hugh Howey's review of this book, for the same reasons: The whole novel was written entirely for me! Of course, I also felt the same way about Among Others by Jo Walton due to the unabashedly glorious references to other fantastic works. Ernest Cline has brought back all of my favorite childhood cultural references in all their glory, except for one which I certainly wish he had worked in. I wanted Princess Bride! But alas, alak, sigh, and ho hum. No issues, seriously. I was giddy through the entire reading of this novel and thought about what a wonderful world it is to have such writers in it. Thank you!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment