Mailing List

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am officially late to this party.

Then again, I've never been a huge fan of the whole werewolf thing and I've read a mountain of UF titles from other authors, so I felt like I could safely give this one a pass.
Don't judge! It felt like a valid excuse especially because the title and series are insanely popular and so, therefore, SOMETHING might be very sketchy about it.

I still remember Twilight, alas, BUT! This isn't anything like that.

Good news! I mean, yeah, there's a skinwalker and lots of werewolves and vampires and witches in modern society and there's a subtext going on like most UF, BUT... there's something about the slow burn in Moon Called that's rather nice. Maybe it's the avoidance of outright paranormal romance, instead relying on a slow and steady *something*. Maybe it's the interesting pack politics, the interesting drugs, the backstabbing. Maybe it's the cool worldbuilding around the Fae or the distinctions between supernatural classes.

Maybe it just clicked.

I'm not saying I'm head over heels in love with this yet, but I did think it was solid and it worked for me. :)

It was better than decent. :) I find myself interested in continuing.

Considering the number of fans out there for the series, I have high hopes. It only gets better, they say. Well, we'll see! :)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment