Mailing List

Saturday, September 23, 2023

The Jinn-Bot of ShantiportThe Jinn-Bot of Shantiport by Samit Basu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book eventually shaped up into a truly fascinating hi-tech story that straddles an interesting line between Aladdin and classic Monkey King tropes. It revels in so many robot dynamics, poor port town underworld stuff, and the even more classic "be careful what you wish for".

I'll admit that I enjoyed it much more after the wishes start coming in. The build-up was necessary but to me, it felt a little slow. It's great for those of us who love robot characters, however, and when things get spicy, I'm loving the mythology and SF mix. Later on, everything takes off in interesting directions.

It's definitely an interesting SF adventure that pulls in a lot of great old myths and stories. I'm a sucker for this kind of thing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment