Mailing List

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This happens to be one of my oddly favorites out of all the middle WoT books because it has a payoff that can't be denied.

We've been seeing Rand and the whole damn world get harder, crazier, and bleaker all this time. I mean, seriously dark. That's kinda the thing with Winter's Heart. It's the heart of winter for everyone, trying to put pieces back together or just consolidate what they can even while the rest falls apart. While the Seanchan solidifying their hold and the Asha'man dying in madness is really bad, what I love most about this book is how it shows off the tiny glimmers of light and hope in stark contrast.

Min, Aviendha, and Elayne, for example. They were sooooo cute and funny. So was Rand. It really wouldn't have been such a great scene without the contrast. But with it? I was laughing my ass off.

And Matt? I can't tell you how happy I am to keep reading him. Being that deep in enemy territory, playing a long game, only to have all the dice stop rolling... again, I laughed my ass off. Probably even more than Rand's little party. And it kept coming. I looooove Tuon. And her little Toy. Muahahahahaha

But when it comes to all the hard as steel moments, a special note should be made for the one scene, at the end, where the REAL healing begins. It's easily one of the best OMG what the hell did I just read moments in the whole series and/or any book. The special effects are nothing compared to the Forsaken going, "Uhhhh, WUT? Oh, hell no..." or the extended implications of how they almost BROKE THE WORLD or what the living hell Nynaeve actually did -- or wove.

Anyway. I knew what was coming because I've read this before, but EVERY SINGLE TIME, I bounced on my chair and freaked the hell out.

GOOD STUFF.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment