Mailing List

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The wonderful re-read of the Wheel of Time series, book 7.

I've never really understood what people meant by "the slog" in this series, except in vague terms. Maybe when I read it the first time, I just wanted to get on with the good stuff. After a 5th read, I think ALL of it is the GOOD stuff.

The time in Ebou Dar, hunting for the Bowl of the Winds, seemed a bit of fluff until we got into the interesting Kin and Wavefinder arc. I laughed my ass off when the girls actually APOLOGIZED and THANKED Matt. His troubles with Queen Tylin were some of the funniest scenes in any of the books. Maybe. Or maybe not. It was really with this book that his character went from truly fascinating to "OMG it's a Matt chapter, I can't wait to see what happens next."

The bloody dice keep rolling in his head. :)

But this isn't all. I was deeply disturbed and fascinated by Cadsuane in Rand's chapters as well. Great to see her come back around from New Spring. Her warnings and her way of "helping" him are so damn ominous and this is coming right on the heels of Rand's time in the box. The timing couldn't be worse. Or better.

Freaking Ta'veren. I'm really getting into Rand and Min together. They're so damn WHOLESOME. Of course, we REALLY need that with all the blood and guts and darkfriends and nasty politics and the full-on invasion of the Seanchan. And let's not forget the Forsaken.

This series is serious comfort food for me. It's up there with Harry Potter, but for very different reasons. I think I'd prefer to take this series with me on a desert island and just keep re-reading it forever. I think that would be just fine.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment