Mailing List

Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This one here is one of my favorites of the entire series. This is where we see some actual real growth in the many primary characters as they set off on their own, or semi-alone, and where the wheel weaves what it weaves.

Case in point: Matt. Those damn questions. That damn luck. And then the damn Price. I was laughing with glee to see it all happen once again. The beginning of his ultimate fate, the craziness, and the gifts.

Rand was also a lot more fun this time around, too. In wanting to get ahead of the battles, he accepted his destiny and ran headlong into it, nearly breaking the weave of fate in doing so. And then there was the utterly hilarious cultural snafu among the Aiel and the glorious romantic comedy herein. I laughed and I cried because I knew very well where this was headed and Rand was SO FREAKING CLUELESS.

Perrin also comes into his own in a very big way. I love the return home but hate what had happened there. I keep thinking of Pippin and Merry when they return to the Shire, but BIGGER, here. And remembering how big this will get in later books, this was special to me.

The hunt for the Black Ajah was not quite as fun as reading about the boys this time around, but the later development in the book more than made up for it. I mean, seriously. I'm still shaking my head in amazement.

Yes. This was SO FUN. Of course, it's my 5th read or so, so it's not like any of it is a surprise, but I LOVE getting to visit it again and freak out about what it all MEANS.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment