Mailing List

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)Johannes Cabal the Detective by Jonathan L. Howard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Omg, this is a breath of fresh air. Or at least, it's a perfectly welcome respite from the normal books I've been reading. Either way, I'm delighted. :)

The first Johannes Cabal novel made me constantly wonder who were the good guys and who were the bad, a Faustian tale of beating the devil, carnival antics, and our favorite smart-as-hell necromancer. I remember being hesitant about continuing after I had finished it, but either enough time has passed or I was totally tripping, because after starting THIS novel, I fell totally in love.

This one is a cozy armchair mystery AND necromantic patriotic spy-fiction AND steampunk.

I always WANTED to love steampunk stuff but generally never did, BUT this one is a clear exception to the rule. :) I did genuinely love this airship murder mystery. :) A total Agatha Christie with necromantic elements, a totally fictitious Europe-not-Europe during Empire, and new and fantastic Ultimate Enemies by way of business as usual...

All thanks to Cabal's winning personality.

And all said, I had a grand ole time. Never a single complaint. I do believe I'm going to fly into the rest of these novels very soon. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment