Mailing List

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Mythos: A Retelling of the Myths of Ancient GreeceMythos: A Retelling of the Myths of Ancient Greece by Stephen Fry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't know about any of you, but this one's a winner. Far from feeling like another dry recounting of a number of our favorite Greek myths, Fry's down-to-earth humor and traditional (modern) storytelling have turned these gods into something most relatable.

I've read Edith Hamilton and Bullfinch's recountings and I've had the pleasure of countless other sources, but here's where Fry shines: he cherry-picks the very best stories and tells them so charmingly and naturally that I wouldn't be surprised if most people would go out of their way to start their friends and family out with this, first.

He does sacrifice breadth in favor of depth, but of course, that's a fine thing. These are some of the most amazing stories of the bunch. They're all told with intelligence, heart, and humor.

Do I have a man-crush? Maybe. A little. But Fry has always been charming as hell. A must-read!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment