Mailing List

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)For Love of Mother-Not by Alan Dean Foster
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This isn't my first Alan Dean Foster read. I've read a few SW novels. But this is my very first ADF read when it comes to his own unique stories.

I did decide to read his Pip and Flinx novels in chronological order, first, and I'm not sure this was a precisely wise idea. It wasn't a bad idea, but I got the distinct impression that a stormcloud was on the horizon and I really didn't know what was to come. Hence, Flinx almost felt like a special snowflake. You know. A Mary Sue. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that if it's done well and it's not exactly as if it was especially pronounced here. Indeed, I just felt like we were strolling down backstory lane and getting to know an (unknown) character's life and history from early childhood through YA and gradually unfolding what makes him special.

This was great! Seriously! It was a light adventure! Not light for the characters, but definitely a light adventure for us. Alien worlds, alien characters, mysterious and somewhat sinister organizations, quirky new friends, and a quest to save a beloved old woman. (Not to mention saving himself.)

And best of all? Pip! The quasi-telepathic flying serpent that befriends Flinx early on, who spits acid and is a best bud for all the novels. :)

I'll be honest here. I made lots of internal comparisons between this and Steven Brust's Talos novels, but it's only superficial. ADF started writing these before Brust even though this particular novel came out the same year and Brust's first. But it's hard to ignore. Telepathic communication buddy novels with small dragons, whether SF or Fantasy, has a very particular feel. :)

Anyway! It's pretty perfect for wanting a light and fast and fun read, especially if you're tired of neigh invincible angry chicks with swords and world-shattering destinies. Go for something classic for a change. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment