Mailing List

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes: The Official BiographyTerry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes: The Official Biography by Rob Wilkins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was hesitant to read the biography of Terry Pratchett for one rather big reason: It's still too soon.

Fortunately, it wasn't all that bad. It's written well, the truth is polished to an amazing degree, and it's a very personal book. It is, after all, written by Rob Wilkins, who was TP's personal assistant for decades.

It is a good tribute. A beautiful tribute. If you know, you know. Terry Pratchett was a one-of-a-kind writer.

I particularly liked learning about his youth and his "wasted" years living a life, but it was the winding of his popularity that really got me. He was so surprised. And then, of course, is the whole Alzheimer's part of TP's life, and how TP took it head-on. That was particularly hard.

BUT.

All the great asides on TPs novels, their histories, is the best treat of all. We can always polish the truth. I'm glad to be able to do a little polishing, myself.

Well worth reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment