Mailing List

Monday, May 9, 2022

Ghosts of Onyx (Halo, #4)Ghosts of Onyx by Eric S. Nylund
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was never one to buy into franchise SF writing although I've been known to pick up a book or fourteen here and there. I just always considered original stories by authors to be *better*.

Has this changed after reading Halo book 4? No. But I will admit that I do have a fondness for the shared worldbuilding team effort, and the care that was put into broadening the history, locations, and cast. The writing is fine and the action is VERY much a MilSF dream.

So?

Spartans are doing what Sparta did. Continuing the cycle of abuse for a Grand Cause and now there's a new generation of modded humans in power armor. The broken are thrown out, as usual.

Almost everything else is action, action, action. Pew pew.

If that's what you like, then this is definitely a primo book for you. Me, I like plot objectives to be more than military objectives, but that's just me. It isn't BAD. If you're a fan of the video game or any of the other franchise opportunities, I'm sure you'll like this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment