Mailing List

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Every time I read this book, and this is the fourth time now, I read it with a very careful eye for what will soon come. All the foreshadowing, the testing, the threat of the Aes Sedai, the posturing, I keep DREADING what will come. Hell, all the things that happened in book 5 were making me think of what would happen in book 6.

What am I going on about? Just this: the character progressions. The events that would reshape the world. The sheer f**king arrogance of so many people.

What really destroyed me were all the sweet, awesomely wholesome moments with Min as she pursued a happy but clueless Rand. This kind of thing, along with all the other kinds of arrogant women pursuing him for other reasons, just destroyed me. Because I knew. I knew what was coming next -- and what will come next after this book.

Trust. What a horrible thing to lose.


Oh, all this is about Rand. I have PLENTY to say about all the other characters, too, but mostly I'm just impressed with Egwene, annoyed with Nynaeve, laughing my ass off about everything Matt steps in, and feeling sorry for Perrin in that head-spinning marriage of his. But I'll leave it at that. Egwene had some very satisfying scenes and development, especially as a spoilery status bit I won't mention, but all-in-all, I think this book was mostly about Rand's development.

Did I laugh and cry and whoop and feel very violent at Dumai Wells? Yes. A thousand times yes. It is one of those fantasy battles that still sit higher than almost any that I've ever read. I'm still shaking after the end of it. Yes. A book gave me PTSD. Or close enough.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment