Mailing List

Monday, May 30, 2022

Neverwhere (London Below, #1)Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a re-read for me.

Interestingly enough, I would absolutely classify this as an Urban Fantasy novel set in London. It being Gaiman, it has some great nasty characters, charmingly inept ones that grow, and women who know their minds.

More than that, however, is the rich magical world that thumps, scurries, and lives side-by-side but is still unseen by the rest of humanity.

I originally read it right after his original run of Sandman and I frankly expected something really big and deep, not a close-knit everyman adventure. However, it was quite fun if not up to my fresh, exacting standards for UF in general, plot-wise, but it IS fresh and deep and delightful.

It is a modern fantasy in all senses of the term, showing us an alternate, fantastical London that is far ahead of the modern UF curve. It may not be my favorite UF of the type, but it certainly deserves the right kind of praise. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment