Mailing List

Monday, May 23, 2022

The Ruin of Kings (A Chorus of Dragons, #1)The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was a very pleasant surprise.

I fully expected a modern epic fantasy, but what I hoped for, based on a few recommendations, was something closer to the feel and complexity of, say, WoT or Name of the Wind, with characters I could love on the same level. I'm happy to say that while I'm not AS invested in these characters, I'm pretty close.

So much happens. I think it was wonderful.

There's no good way to describe this because it is rich with characters and worldbuilding, but I can say, with utter pleasure, that there are immortals, gods, dragons, demons, the afterlife, and enough corrupt politics and seedy empire shit to thrill a certain kind of reader.

I mean those readers who love huge, complicated tales that begin at the lowest rung and have enough reveals and twists to keep you spinning like a top only to wind up AT the top, looking down, and freaking out because while it may appear that it seems like a standard plot, the journey is far from it.

So, again, I have to underscore the fact that I think this is pretty damn wonderful. I had a great time and it wasn't just pure popcorn. It had real meat to it. And I really hated some of these people, too. Their deaths were very satisfying.

I can't wait to keep reading on!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment