Mailing List

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Rum LuckRum Luck by Ryan Aldred
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Honestly, I can't quite decide if this is was more of a wonderful flight of a daydream about owning a beach-bar in Costa Rica or whether it was a murder mystery.

Who says you can't have both, or even have it all? Of course, it requires a bit of really bad luck, some worse luck, a drunken attempted sombrero pilferage, and some great friends to make it all turn out all right,... but that's fine.

It's the ride that counts. Um. Even when the ride can't go above 20 miles an hour and has a huge spray-paint tag with "Gringo" on the side. It's the journey, man!

It's a good novel about pursuing your dreams. I think I'll remember that bit long after the murder mystery fades, but don't get me wrong, there was a good deal of fun with that, too. I didn't even mind that all the characters kept having hidden depths of skills popping up out from nowhere to save the day. It made them interesting. Really interesting. :) No problemo. ;)

So who do you want to be when you grow up? Hey! As long as you don't say clown, you're in business.

Recommendations while reading this novel: Rum.

If you really want, then get some good tequila, but I seriously recommend rum. It's not just in the title. It's in the spirit. You can't read a mystery novel taking place in a bar without getting blasted, can you? Sure, it doesn't hurt if you like rum, too, or perhaps a bit of good tequila, but just imagine how much fun you might have if you turned the reading of this into a drinking game! Screw movies. Books are the new bar-room entertainment. Don't believe me? Read the book. I can guarantee a good time. :)

Thanks to the author for a copy of his book! I was skeptical at first, but it was a charm to fall into and really, really smooth. Thank you!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment