Mailing List

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #2)A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor


This second book still reads like an amazingly light-voiced opera of death, time-mystery, and casual sex... in other words, a great time-travel SF. :)

Seriously though, her treatment of cars makes me wonder if they'll wind up going the way of the Dodos. Minus the Cucumber Sandwiches. :)

I preferred this one a lot over the first book for once reason: It stayed in known-history for the majority of the book rather than with the dinos. I'm a sucker for historical mysteries and I'm even more of a sucker for why Shakespeare wrote a play where the Other Mary took over when Elisabeth died. Woooooo the lead up in the first novel was perfect and I'm super satisfied by seeing a lot more of it here. Jack the Ripper was a treat, of course, and wow was he different from most of the rip-offs, but more than anything, I loved seeing our MC get promoted to her level of incompetence.

It was all too funny. :)

Seriously? A team building exercise of capturing dodos? Seriously?

The dark stuff is also very dark, of course, and I can't quite say whether so much casual death among the Historians ramps up the tension or minimizes it. Maybe in some backwards way it does both, but either way, it really fills the pages. Scarily so. Oh yeah, and time unravelling. That might be bad. But anyway!

This is some very fun stuff, ya'll. Time travel can be clever and wild and fast, yo!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment