Mailing List

Friday, August 5, 2016

The Grand SophyThe Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A Regency Romance? What? What?

Ah, but this was nothing very stuffy, indeed! Sophy was the model extrovert, a clever and busy and downright machiavellian girl. Do you like characters with so much agency that they pop right off the page? Sophy is your girl.

Of course, that also means that she's pretty much a terror for all the stuffed shirts around her, and between getting in the way and deciding to "help" her relations find marriage, while all the while being the unwitting subject of the same dastardly plot.

How will this comedy turn out??? Truly, the pacing is good, the plot is pretty Shakespearian, and the stuffed shirts get stuffed.

It was pretty fun! Mind you, I do love a bit of romance fluff every now and again and this was light and churlish and sometimes even devious, but it is also pure popcorn fiction.

I'm glad to have read it, but it's not generally the kind of thing I read, or at least, the setting isn't. The storied plots are pretty universal, though, and there were plenty of chuckles in store for me. Here's to broadening my horizon!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment