Mailing List

Friday, August 19, 2016

The Geri RogueThe Geri Rogue by D.R. Hedge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This one is rather hard to review not because I can't get my thoughts in order but because I'm really of two minds when it comes to the story and it's end.

On the one hand, it reads like a good modern romance with tragic tones with our MC Rett as a depressed werewolf who meets and falls in love with a rather interesting woman with an interesting name. Brixton. As in the Clash's Guns of Brixton. Heck, I sympathized with these folks merely because of their taste in music, but it went much farther than that. The devil is in the details, and the romance felt real and sticky and hot after its many simmering pages. I mean, what punker pierced girl wouldn't like a strapping brooding werewolf in her life, especially one that can beat the shit out of her abusive ex-boyfriend, right?

The tragedy was bad, of course, but it was bad in the sense that I fell into it and felt the pain of it. That's called good writing. The aftermath was a real treat, too, and the whole plot, while not very complex, made up for it in good immersion.

So what stops this from being a five for me?

It's about suicide, folks. This isn't just a retelling of some goofy Shakespeare shit, either, yo. It's solid and serious and while it may all surround the conflict between wolf and man and how he couldn't cope, it's not like we readers can't transfer the conflicts of instinct versus duty to ourselves, so it can perhaps be a bit too much for some.

It might be too much for me.

If you want a hot and sexy paranormal romance that touches upon some hard issues, I wouldn't pass this one by. It's a real solid read. :)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment