Mailing List

Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Last Legends of Earth (Radix, #4)The Last Legends of Earth by A.A. Attanasio
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So here's the long and short of this book: I couldn't get into it.

I hate that I couldn't get into it, too, because the damn thing was rife with great ideas, with a sprawling galactic battle for the soul of the human race, including enormous stakes, new-agey, straight starship/alien technology/truly WEIRD technology, capped with original concepts and events.

It even has cameos from the other Radix books.

So what's my problem?

I just couldn't get into any single character except obliquely, through the worldbuilding, and it just wasn't enough to hold onto.

Attanasio is good on the originality front. Indeed, he's overflowing and I LOVE that. This book just isn't good enough to hold me on anything else, and even though I was pretty solid on books one and three in Radix, this one feels like it should have had some really gritty threads of characters to do it justice instead of the massive jumps we did get.

This isn't a Stephen Baxter Xeelee take, no matter how it slightly resembles it from my description.

It may be a case of "it's me, not you", too.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment