Mailing List

Saturday, April 16, 2022

Howls from the Dark AgesHowls from the Dark Ages by P.L. McMillan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a nearly perfect collection of Middle Ages supernatural horror.

The anthology, when it doesn't fully satisfy or drive me into a story or two, still fully invests me in the horror, itself.

For the rest, I simply loved the overwhelming religious dread, the atmosphere of hell-on-earth, the truly sordid *everything* and the insistence that hell HAD to be ever-worse because reality really was competing neck-to-neck with these people's imaginations.

Yes. The Black Plague, the endless wars, the famine and superstition, and the deadly dance WERE almost as bad as their conception of Hell. Or maybe it WAS worse.

So, for us, reading this particular brand of horror, it's really a competition, a race to the bottom. :)

I recommend this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment